NO PURCHASE IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE DOES NOT INCREASE THE CHANCES OF WINNING.
1. Eligibility: This Campaign is open only to those who sign up and who are 21 years of age or older as of the date of entry.The Campaign is only open to legal residents of The United States, and is void where prohibited by law. Employees of 55places.com, its affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising and promotion agencies, and suppliers, (collectively the “Employees”), and immediate family members and/or those living in the same household of Employees are not eligible to participate in the Campaign. The Campaign is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations. Void where prohibited.
2. Agreement to Rules: By participating, the Contestant (“You”) agree to be fully unconditionally bound by these Rules, and You represent and warrant that You meet the eligibility requirements. In addition, You agree to accept the decisions of Neighborhoods.com, LLC as final and binding as it relates to the content of this Campaign.
3. Campaign Period: Entries will be accepted online starting on December 20, 2017 at 12:00 AM CST and ending January 3, 2018 at 11:59 PM CST. All online entries must be received by January 3, 2018 at 11:59 CST.
4. How to Enter: The Campaign must be entered by submitting an entry using the online form provided at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/WXKLXGR. The entry must fulfill all campaign requirements, as specified, to be eligible to win a prize. Entries that are incomplete or do not adhere to the rules or specifications may be disqualified at the sole discretion of 55places.com. You must provide the information requested. You may not enter more times than indicated by using multiple email addresses, identities, or devices in an attempt to circumvent the rules. You may only enter using the Gleam app entry methods available. If You use fraudulent methods or otherwise attempt to circumvent the rules, your submission may be removed from eligibility at the sole discretion of 55places.com.
5. Prizes: The Winner(s) of the Campaign (the “Winner”) will receive an Apple iPad with a retail value of approximately $329.99. Actual/appraised value may differ at time of prize award. The specifics of the prize shall be solely determined by 55places.com. No cash or other prize substitution shall be permitted except at 55places.com's discretion. The prize is nontransferable. Any and all prize-related expenses, including without limitation any and all federal, state, and/or local taxes, shall be the sole responsibility of Winner. No substitution of prize or transfer/assignment of prize to others or request for the cash equivalent by Winner is permitted. Acceptance of prize constitutes permission for 55places.com to use Winner’s name, likeness, and entry for purposes of advertising and trade without further compensation, unless prohibited by law.
6. Odds: The odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received.
7. Winner Selection and Notification: Winner will be selected by a random drawing under the supervision of 55places.com. Winner will be notified by email within five (5) days following selection of Winner. 55places.com shall have no liability for Winner’s failure to receive notices due to spam, junk e-mail or other security settings or for Winner’s provision of incorrect or otherwise non-functioning contact information. If Winner cannot be contacted, is ineligible, fails to claim the prize within 14 days from the time award notification was sent, or fails to timely return a completed and executed declaration and release as required, the prize may be forfeited and an alternate Winner selected. Receipt by Winner of the prize offered in this Campaign is conditioned upon compliance with any and all federal, state, and local laws and regulations. ANY VIOLATION OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES BY WINNER (AT 55PLACES.COM‘S SOLE DISCRETION) WILL RESULT IN WINNER’S DISQUALIFICATION AS WINNER OF THE CAMPAIGN, AND ALL PRIVILEGES AS WINNER WILL BE IMMEDIATELY TERMINATED.
8. Rights Granted by You: By entering this content (e.g., photo, video, text, etc.), You understand and agree that 55places.com, anyone acting on behalf of 55places.com, and 55places.com’s licensees, successors, and assigns, shall have the right, where permitted by law, to print, publish, broadcast, distribute, and use in any media now known or hereafter developed, in perpetuity and throughout the World, without limitation, your entry, name, portrait, picture, voice, likeness, image, statements about the Campaign, and biographical information for news, publicity, information, trade, advertising, public relations, and promotional purposes without any further compensation, notice, review, or consent.
9. Terms & Conditions: 55places.com reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Campaign should virus, bug, non-authorized human intervention, fraud, or other cause beyond 55places.com’s control corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, or proper conduct of the Campaign. In such case, 55places.com may select the Winner from all eligible entries received prior to and/or after (if appropriate) the action taken by 55places.com. 55places.com reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual who tampers or attempts to tamper with the entry process or the operation of the Campaign or website or violates these Terms & Conditions. 55places.com has the right, in its sole discretion, to maintain the integrity of the Campaign, to void votes for any reason, including, but not limited to: multiple entries from the same user from different IP addresses; multiple entries from the same computer in excess of that allowed by Campaign rules; or the use of bots, macros, scripts, or other technical means for entering. Any attempt by an entrant to deliberately damage any website or undermine the legitimate operation of the Campaign may be a violation of criminal and civil laws. Should such attempt be made, 55places.com reserves the right to seek damages to the fullest extent permitted by law.
10. Limitation of Liability: By entering, You agree to release and hold harmless 55places.com and its subsidiaries, affiliates, advertising and promotion agencies, partners, representatives, agents, successors, assigns, employees, officers, and directors from any liability, illness, injury, death, loss, litigation, claim, or damage that may occur, directly or indirectly, whether caused by negligence or not, from: (i) such entrant’s participation in the Campaign and/or his/her acceptance, possession, use, or misuse of any prize or any portion thereof; (ii) technical failures of any kind, including but not limited to the malfunction of any computer, cable, network, hardware, or software, or other mechanical equipment; (iii) the unavailability or inaccessibility of any transmissions, telephone, or Internet service; (iv) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the entry process or the Promotion; (v) electronic or human error in the administration of the Promotion or the processing of entries.
11. Disputes: THIS CAMPAIGN IS GOVERNED BY THE LAWS OF THE UNITED STATES AND ILLINOIS, WITHOUT RESPECT TO CONFLICT OF LAW DOCTRINES. As a condition of participating in this Campaign, participant agrees that any and all disputes that cannot be resolved between the parties, and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Campaign, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, exclusively before a court located in Illinois having jurisdiction. Further, in any such dispute, under no circumstances shall participant be permitted to obtain awards for, and hereby waives all rights to, punitive, incidental, or consequential damages, including reasonable attorney’s fees, other than participant’s actual out-of-pocket expenses (i.e. costs associated with entering this Campaign). Participant further waives all rights to have damages multiplied or increased.
13. Winners List: To obtain a copy of the Winner’s name or a copy of these Official Rules, mail your request along with a stamped, self-addressed envelope to: 55 Places, LLC, 1525 W. Homer Street Suite 301, Chicago, Illinois, 60642, U.S. Requests must be received no later than July 12, 2017.
14. Sponsor: The Sponsor of the Campaign is Neighborhoods.com, LLC, 1525 W. Homer Street Suite 301, Chicago, Illinois, 60642, U.S.
15. Facebook: The Campaign hosted by 55places.com is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by, or associated with Facebook.
16. Write-in Entry: You may write in one entry at the address below. Sweepstakes eligibility will be determined by the date the write-in entry is received. We do not accept entries from third parties.
1525 W Homer St.
Chicago, IL 60613
This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Instagram, Facebook, or MailChimp.
From spectacular natural scenery to gentle vineyard slopes, and urban sophistication to neighborly small towns, there are few places on Earth so well-suited for active adults and retirees as Northern California. With lively urban centers and some of the most beautiful natural environments on Earth, Northern California offers a breathtaking range of active retirement living options that are also surprisingly affordable.
Every part of Northern California has its own perfect climate. The shores of the Pacific Ocean enjoy a pleasant Mediterranean climate, while in the Central Valley, quiet upscale agricultural towns such as Brentwood offer beautiful days on end of sunshine and warm temperatures. For those who still want to experience seasons, the slopes of Mount Shasta and southern Cascades and Klamath Mountains have just the right amount of snow.
The unspoiled beaches, breathtaking vistas, and many urban amenities are just some of the many hidden gems of Northern California waiting to be discovered by the active senior. With so many retirement living options to choose from, you are certain to find one that is absolutely perfect for you.
Climate & Geography
Although Northern California has a wide range of climates, winter temperatures are generally mild, with temperatures rarely dipping below freezing. Most of Northern California has a Mediterranean climate, with cool, rainy winters and dry summers. Areas closer to the ocean vary less in temperature than areas farther away, with the cool California Current helping to moderate temperatures. In the northernmost part of Northern California, summer temperatures rarely go above the mid 60s, while winter daytime temperatures average in the 50s. Only the northern mountain regions regularly get snow. The large flat expanse of the Central Valley is hotter and much sunnier than areas closer to the coast or higher in the mountains. During temperature inversions, air quality is a concern in San Jose and some other parts of the Central Valley.
Recreation, Culture & Entertainment
Northern California is an ideal destination for active adults and seniors. From hiking among the sequoias to golfing some of the best courses in the country to wine tasting in the Napa Valley, Northern California has it all. It is one of the few places in the entire country where it is possible to ski on fresh snow in the morning, then drive an hour to enjoy a round of golf in the afternoon. In the nearby vacation region of Big Sur, a day hike will take you all the way from redwoods to cacti.
Many of the active adult communities in Northern California are nestled in beautiful small cities and towns, each with its own unique charm. Places such as Murphys have been voted among the top coolest small towns in America. Larger urban centers, such as San Francisco and Sacramento, offer a pleasant range of shopping and cultural experiences.
Despite its overall diversity, different regions of Northern California will suit certain lifestyles better than others. This area is an ideal place for active adults to live with endless recreational opportunities.
Cost of Living & Taxes
The cost of living in Northern California is higher than the national average, but still lower than that of Southern California. The popular retirement destinations of Los Gatos, Los Altos, and Palo Altos have some of the most expensive age-restricted communities in Northern California. Whereas communities farther from the ocean and large urban centers tend to be the most affordable.
Taxes in California vary considerably based on income level and property location, as well as by city and county. There are 6 state tax brackets, with the lowest being 1 percent and the highest 9.3 percent. Social security benefits are exempt but pensions are not. California has no estate, inheritance, or gift tax. Combined state, county, and local tax rates vary from 7.25 percent to 8.75 percent. Property taxes typically range from 1 to 1.3 percent of the home's value. Because property taxes are calculated based on the home's fair market value at the time of purchase and is not affected by any rise in real property values, now is an excellent time to consider a move to one of Northern California's active retirement communities.
The quality of life Northern California residents enjoy is among the best in the United States. The geography and climate of Northern California all promote a healthy and active lifestyle at a relaxing pace. Many Northern California retirement communities are situated so as to be close to nature, without compromising proximity to urban amenities. Newer active adult communities such as those around Sacramento and Lake Tahoe allow active adults and retirees to enjoy life outside major urban areas while remaining within an easy 2 hour drive of the Bay Area and its top-notch healthcare.
Share this page with friends and family!