NO PURCHASE IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE DOES NOT INCREASE THE CHANCES OF WINNING.
1. Eligibility: This Campaign is open only to those who sign up and who are 21 years of age or older as of the date of entry.The Campaign is only open to legal residents of The United States, and is void where prohibited by law. Employees of 55places.com, its affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising and promotion agencies, and suppliers, (collectively the “Employees”), and immediate family members and/or those living in the same household of Employees are not eligible to participate in the Campaign. The Campaign is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations. Void where prohibited.
2. Agreement to Rules: By participating, the Contestant (“You”) agree to be fully unconditionally bound by these Rules, and You represent and warrant that You meet the eligibility requirements. In addition, You agree to accept the decisions of Neighborhoods.com, LLC as final and binding as it relates to the content of this Campaign.
3. Campaign Period: Entries will be accepted online starting on December 20, 2017 at 12:00 AM CST and ending January 3, 2018 at 11:59 PM CST. All online entries must be received by January 3, 2018 at 11:59 CST.
4. How to Enter: The Campaign must be entered by submitting an entry using the online form provided at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/WXKLXGR. The entry must fulfill all campaign requirements, as specified, to be eligible to win a prize. Entries that are incomplete or do not adhere to the rules or specifications may be disqualified at the sole discretion of 55places.com. You must provide the information requested. You may not enter more times than indicated by using multiple email addresses, identities, or devices in an attempt to circumvent the rules. You may only enter using the Gleam app entry methods available. If You use fraudulent methods or otherwise attempt to circumvent the rules, your submission may be removed from eligibility at the sole discretion of 55places.com.
5. Prizes: The Winner(s) of the Campaign (the “Winner”) will receive an Apple iPad with a retail value of approximately $329.99. Actual/appraised value may differ at time of prize award. The specifics of the prize shall be solely determined by 55places.com. No cash or other prize substitution shall be permitted except at 55places.com's discretion. The prize is nontransferable. Any and all prize-related expenses, including without limitation any and all federal, state, and/or local taxes, shall be the sole responsibility of Winner. No substitution of prize or transfer/assignment of prize to others or request for the cash equivalent by Winner is permitted. Acceptance of prize constitutes permission for 55places.com to use Winner’s name, likeness, and entry for purposes of advertising and trade without further compensation, unless prohibited by law.
6. Odds: The odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received.
7. Winner Selection and Notification: Winner will be selected by a random drawing under the supervision of 55places.com. Winner will be notified by email within five (5) days following selection of Winner. 55places.com shall have no liability for Winner’s failure to receive notices due to spam, junk e-mail or other security settings or for Winner’s provision of incorrect or otherwise non-functioning contact information. If Winner cannot be contacted, is ineligible, fails to claim the prize within 14 days from the time award notification was sent, or fails to timely return a completed and executed declaration and release as required, the prize may be forfeited and an alternate Winner selected. Receipt by Winner of the prize offered in this Campaign is conditioned upon compliance with any and all federal, state, and local laws and regulations. ANY VIOLATION OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES BY WINNER (AT 55PLACES.COM‘S SOLE DISCRETION) WILL RESULT IN WINNER’S DISQUALIFICATION AS WINNER OF THE CAMPAIGN, AND ALL PRIVILEGES AS WINNER WILL BE IMMEDIATELY TERMINATED.
8. Rights Granted by You: By entering this content (e.g., photo, video, text, etc.), You understand and agree that 55places.com, anyone acting on behalf of 55places.com, and 55places.com’s licensees, successors, and assigns, shall have the right, where permitted by law, to print, publish, broadcast, distribute, and use in any media now known or hereafter developed, in perpetuity and throughout the World, without limitation, your entry, name, portrait, picture, voice, likeness, image, statements about the Campaign, and biographical information for news, publicity, information, trade, advertising, public relations, and promotional purposes without any further compensation, notice, review, or consent.
9. Terms & Conditions: 55places.com reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Campaign should virus, bug, non-authorized human intervention, fraud, or other cause beyond 55places.com’s control corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, or proper conduct of the Campaign. In such case, 55places.com may select the Winner from all eligible entries received prior to and/or after (if appropriate) the action taken by 55places.com. 55places.com reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual who tampers or attempts to tamper with the entry process or the operation of the Campaign or website or violates these Terms & Conditions. 55places.com has the right, in its sole discretion, to maintain the integrity of the Campaign, to void votes for any reason, including, but not limited to: multiple entries from the same user from different IP addresses; multiple entries from the same computer in excess of that allowed by Campaign rules; or the use of bots, macros, scripts, or other technical means for entering. Any attempt by an entrant to deliberately damage any website or undermine the legitimate operation of the Campaign may be a violation of criminal and civil laws. Should such attempt be made, 55places.com reserves the right to seek damages to the fullest extent permitted by law.
10. Limitation of Liability: By entering, You agree to release and hold harmless 55places.com and its subsidiaries, affiliates, advertising and promotion agencies, partners, representatives, agents, successors, assigns, employees, officers, and directors from any liability, illness, injury, death, loss, litigation, claim, or damage that may occur, directly or indirectly, whether caused by negligence or not, from: (i) such entrant’s participation in the Campaign and/or his/her acceptance, possession, use, or misuse of any prize or any portion thereof; (ii) technical failures of any kind, including but not limited to the malfunction of any computer, cable, network, hardware, or software, or other mechanical equipment; (iii) the unavailability or inaccessibility of any transmissions, telephone, or Internet service; (iv) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the entry process or the Promotion; (v) electronic or human error in the administration of the Promotion or the processing of entries.
11. Disputes: THIS CAMPAIGN IS GOVERNED BY THE LAWS OF THE UNITED STATES AND ILLINOIS, WITHOUT RESPECT TO CONFLICT OF LAW DOCTRINES. As a condition of participating in this Campaign, participant agrees that any and all disputes that cannot be resolved between the parties, and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Campaign, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, exclusively before a court located in Illinois having jurisdiction. Further, in any such dispute, under no circumstances shall participant be permitted to obtain awards for, and hereby waives all rights to, punitive, incidental, or consequential damages, including reasonable attorney’s fees, other than participant’s actual out-of-pocket expenses (i.e. costs associated with entering this Campaign). Participant further waives all rights to have damages multiplied or increased.
13. Winners List: To obtain a copy of the Winner’s name or a copy of these Official Rules, mail your request along with a stamped, self-addressed envelope to: 55 Places, LLC, 1525 W. Homer Street Suite 301, Chicago, Illinois, 60642, U.S. Requests must be received no later than July 12, 2017.
14. Sponsor: The Sponsor of the Campaign is Neighborhoods.com, LLC, 1525 W. Homer Street Suite 301, Chicago, Illinois, 60642, U.S.
15. Facebook: The Campaign hosted by 55places.com is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by, or associated with Facebook.
16. Write-in Entry: You may write in one entry at the address below. Sweepstakes eligibility will be determined by the date the write-in entry is received. We do not accept entries from third parties.
1525 W Homer St.
Chicago, IL 60613
This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Instagram, Facebook, or MailChimp.
When active adults consider where they want to retire, Alaska is probably not the top place they think of. However, those looking for many of the unique opportunities only offered in Alaska might think twice. With a population of about 730,000 people, Alaska is situated at the northwestern most point of North America. Bordered by the Canadian Yukon Territory, the Province of British Columbia and the Arctic and Pacific Oceans this state covers a vast array of scenic wonders. Alaska s beautiful natural surroundings, rich history and abundance of recreation and entertainment make it a great place for today s active adults.
Climate & Geography
The climate in Alaska varies depending on the region. The southeastern region offers an oceanic climate. Here, weather is generally mild in temperature with a lot of yearly precipitation. On an annual basis this region is both the wettest and warmest part of Alaska. Western Alaska offers a subarctic oceanic climate largely due to its proximity of the Bearing Sea and the Gulf of Alaska. This region varies in the amount of yearly precipitation as the northern side of the region often receives less than 10 inches while other parts such as Bethel, Alaska can get up to 100 inches annually. Interior Alaska is subarctic. Some of the highest and lowest temperatures occur here with summer days often reaching into the 90 s while daily temperatures during the winter months can plummet to negative 60. Precipitation in the interior is often less than 10 inches a year.
Alaska is the largest state in the United States in terms of land at 586,412 square miles. It also has a longer coastline than all the other states combined. The land consists of numerous types of terrain such as mountains, volcanoes, desert areas, and tundra. Alaskan active adults enjoy nature and the large open spaces which the federal government manages.
Recreation, Culture & Entertainment
Alaska became the 49th state in the U.S. in 1959. Before admission this area was known as the Alaskan Territory. The United States purchased Alaska from Russia in 1867 for $7.2 million or approximately two cents per acre. The economy in Alaska is dominated by the oil, natural gas and fishing industries while tourism is also a significant provider.
Some of the more famous events in Alaska are the Iditarod Sled Dog Race, the World Ice Art Championships, and the Anchorage Folk Festival. Hunting and fishing remain two of the most popular choices for recreation in the state.
Anchorage is the largest city in the state with an estimated population of about 300,000 residents. A majority of Alaska s active adult communities are in the area of Anchorage. The Alaskan Center for the Performing Arts is located in Anchorage and hosts nearly 245,000 visitors every year. Also located in Anchorage is the Alaska Museum of Natural History, the Alaska Native Heritage Center, and the Alaska Aviation Heritage Museum. Many active adults are pleased that there are many not-for-profit organizations in Alaska. Active adults will have no problem staying busy exploring Alaska s rich history and culture.
Cost of Living & Taxes
Cost of living in Alaska is one of the highest in the country. Before the introduction of big-box stores such as Wal-Mart and Costco, active adults had to rely on mom and pop stores for virtually everything. Limited infrastructure for transportation to these stores made it hard to receive shipments of inventory, keeping prices of household goods at a high. Once the big-box stores were introduced prices on goods fell and became more affordable.
While the cost of living is high, Alaskan active adults enjoy the lowest individual tax burden in the country. While there is no state sales tax, many municipalities collect a local sales tax between 3% and 5%.
With approximately 1,813 active physicians, Alaska offers about 247 doctors per 100,000 people. There are 25 hospitals throughout the state offering excellent care. These hospitals hire most of the government employees in the state. With numerous hospitals and specialized medical centers active adults are never too far from medical attention they may need.
Share this page with friends and family!